Can't Find what you're looking for? Try our Search....
This page updated 26 DEC 2009
26 DEC 2009: THE AIDS DISEASE ON LOCAL POST STAMPS TOPICAL...
Stephen Lorimor, the webmaster of the AIDS on Stamps website, and I have been compiling a checklist of AIDS on Local Post Stamps. You can view the short checklist with illustrations by clicking here: AIDS Local Post Stamps.
So far there are 3 LPs listed: Doc's Local Post, Dragonfly Dream Local Post, and Enotria Local Post, (two more LP stamps from Terra Candella will soon be listed).
Have you issued a LP on the AIDS disease, or know of any other LPs that are not listed? I recommend contacting Stephen, and send him details about your LP (and/or any others not listed). Sending him a scan of the LP stamp and/or of it on a cover would be appreciated too. You can contact him by clicking HERE
02 FEB 2008 LPCS Vice President visits FMF Local Post
In March 2007 Ralph Phillips and his wife came to the United States and visited a few local posts, I was fortunate to have them visit me and my FMF Local Post. Shown below is one of the special covers I prepared for their visit on March 12. Ralph autographed the cover (on the upper left side of the cover) and his wife also autographed it (on th lower left side of the cover). The covers were mailed and received the the Fort Myers FL postmark the next day March 13 and sent out to other LP collectors and friends.
This cover has the souvenir sheet of two FMF LP stamps:
"Collect Local Posts for the FUN of it!"
"PHILOPOLIST: Collector of Local Posts stamps and covers".
UPDATED 15 FEB 2008: Did you know that the LPCS President Ralph Phillips has issued a CD on USA and Canada Local Posts? Its recently been expanded to two CDs. There is a British Local Post CD also available. You can find out more information about these CD's and how to order by clicking here.
If you dont get results by clicking the above link, then you can copy and paste this link in your browser:
The Above LP stamp for the 30th anniversary of the LPCS is from Doc's Local Post and depicts a LP stamp from the Fireside Local Post which honors David Sterling, the great cinderella philatlist and our 1st president of the
Local Post Collectors Society (LPCS)
(There is an error on the Doc's LP stamp, in that the LPCS 30th anniversary was in 2002 and not 2003 as noted on the stamp. The LPCS was founded in 1972).
The society was originally known as the "LOPO Collectors Society"
when it was founded in 1972.
It was renamed the Local Post Collectors Society in 1974.
The journal was originally called "The Bulletin" in 1972 and renamed
"The Poster" in 1974.
Joe Frasketi, Jr. is the earliest surviving regular member of the LPCS having membership number of 11 and life member of the LPCS having the life member number of 5.
Leonard Sandler who operated the Bow Wow Local Post was the earliest surviving regular member of the LPCS having membership number of 4, however Leonard died this past September 2007.
This is a page in progress, it is not complete yet, however I did want it to get published. It needs more research to make it complete.
The information below was taken from the notes I prepared while being secretary of the society and also later from my copies of the LPCS journal, so some dates may be off a month or two.
M# stands for regular membership number and LM# stands for life membership number.
If you see an error below or want to update the ????, please report it:
Send Email to Joe
Thank you Joe Lo Preiato and Ralph Phillips who have provided additional info. to update the below list.
LIST OF OFFICERS UPDATED 19 DEC 2008:
- Jan. 1972-Dec. 1982: David M. Sterling (Scotland) M#3-LM#11
- Jan. 1983-Apr. 1988: Tadas Edelis (Phoenix AZ) M#13-LM#9
- Apr. 1988-Apr. 1993: Ralph G. Wilson (N. Ft. Myers FL) M#124-LM#17
- May. 1993-Mar. 1994: Howard J. Wunderlich (Ronkonkoma NY) M#57-LM#35
- Apr. 1994-Mar. 1995: Ken Jenkins (CA) M#345-LM#42
- Apr. 1995-Apr. 1997: Dale Goble (Stayton OR) M#408
- May. 1997-Sep. 1997: Vacant
- Oct. 1997-Apr. 1998: Joseph J. Frasketi, Jr. (Fort Myers FL) M#11-LM#5
- May. 1998-Sep. 2003: Peter Pierce (Oxford MA) M#234-LM#31
- Sep. 2003-Feb. 2004: Spencer Hudson (Sumner MS) M#223
- Feb. 2004-Aug. 2007: Joseph LoPreiato (Newington CT) M#386-LM#50
- Aug. 2007-.........: Ralph Phillips (Israel) M#566
- Jan. 1972-Jul. 1982: Theodore Jensen (Toledo OH) M#2
- Aug. 1982-Mar. 1987: Bard C. Cosman (..) M#26-LM#6
- Mar. 1987-May. 1988: John M. Howell (Littlerock CA) M#82-LM#2
- May. 1988-Jul. 1989: Edward J. Davis (Tiverton RI) M#49
- Jul. 1989-Apr. 1993: Howard J. Wunderlich (Ronkonkoma NY) M#57-LM#35
- May. 1993-Apr. 1995: Dale Goble (Stayton OR) M#408
- May. 1995-Apr. 1996: Vacant.
- May. 1996-Apr. 1997: Peter Pierce (Oxford MA) M#234-LM#31
- Apr. 1997-Apr. 1998: Vacant
- May. 1998-Sep. 2003: Spencer Hudson (Sumner MS) M#223
- Oct. 2003-Feb. 2004: Joseph LoPreiato (Newington CT) M#386-LM#50
- Mar. 2004-Oct. 2004: Vacant
- Nov. 2004-Aug. 2007: Ralph Phillips (Israel) M#566
- Aug. 2007..........: James "Lee" Katona (Lakeland FL) M#233
This section on secretaries and treasurers is confusing because it has been split up into two positions and later combined into one position and back again.
- Jan. 1972-Aug. 1979: Wayne D. Martel (Baltimore MD) M#1
- Sep. 1979-Aug. 1982: Tadas Edelis (Phoenix AZ) M#13-LM#9
- Aug. 1982-Feb. 1987: John M. Howell (Littlerock CA) M#82-LM#2
- Mar. 1987-Mar. 1989: Joseph J. Frasketi, Jr. (Fort Myers FL) M#11-LM#5
- The position of secretary/treasurer was split up in Mar. 1989
- The position of secretary/treasurer was reestablished in Nov. 1997
- Nov. 1997-Nov. 2005: Howard DuBose, Jr. (Hurdle Mills NC) M#385
- The position of secretary/treasurer was reestablished in Feb. 2007
- Feb. 2007-.........: Robert F. Fritz (Sun City AZ) M#517/LM#56
- Mar. 1989-Oct. 1997: Helen McGinley (Chula Vista CA) M#221-LM#25
- The position of secretary was combined with the treasurer in Nov. 1997
- Dec. 2003??-Nov. 2005: Kenneth M. Davis (Muncie IN) M#518
- Mar. 2006..-Feb. 2007: Bruce A. Helm (Seattle WA) M#569
- The position of corresponding secretary was eliminated Sep. 2007
- Mar. 1987-Dec. 1990: Joseph J. Frasketi, Jr. (Fort Myers FL) M#11-LM#5
- Jan. 1991-Jul. 1992: Stephen Bluestein (CA) M#172
- Jul. 1992-Nov. 1997: Howard DuBose, Jr. (Hurdle Mills NC) M#385
- The position of treasurer was combined with the secretary in Nov. 1997
- Sep. 2005-Feb. 2007: Bob Fritz (Sun City AZ) M#517
- Jan. 1972-Aug. 1978: Wayne D. Martel (Baltimore MD) M#1
- Sep. 1978-Aug. 1980: Bard C. Cosman (..) M#26-LM#6
- Sep. 1980-Jun. 1982: Scott Russel (Racine WI) M#28
- Jul. 1982-Dec. 1983: John M. Howell (Littlerock CA) M#82-LM#2
- Jan. 1984-Dec. 1986: Joseph J. Frasketi, Jr. (Fort Myers FL) M#11-LM#5
- Jan. 1987-Sep. 1988: Alan R. Lavendier (Bedford MA) M#288-LM#21
- Sep. 1988-Dec. 1990: Howard J. Wunderlich (Ronkonkoma NY) M#57-LM#35
- Jan. 1991-Jun. 1991: Joseph J. Frasketi, Jr. (Fort Myers FL) M#11-LM#5
- Jul. 1991-Dec. 1995: Howard J. Wunderlich (Ronkonkoma NY) M#57-LM#35
- Jan. 1996-Aug. 1996: Dale Goble (Stayton OR) M#408
- Oct. 1997-Oct. 1998: Sam D. Virzi (Riverside CA) M#437
- Nov. 1998-Jul. 2003: Ian Robertson (Fairhope AL) M#289
- Aug. 2003-Jun. 2006: Chuck Brady (Kapaa HI) M#543
- Feb. 2007-Jun. 2007: Jeanine C. Long (La Grange OH) M#???
- Jan..... -Feb. 2008: Joseph LoPreiato (Newington CT) M#386-LM#50
- Mar. 2008..........: Karen Katona (non-member, wife of Vice President)
- Jul. 1983-Nov. 1987: Tadas Edelis (Phoenix AZ) M#13-LM#9
- Nov. 1987-Nov. 2008: Ian Robertson (Fairhope AL) M#289-LM#52
For more information about the LPCS please visit the official website:
- Nov. 2004-Nov. 2008: Rick Botti (Newark CA) M#562
- Nov. 2008-.........: Patrick C. Labbe (Summerville SC) M#610
LOCAL POST COLLECTORS SOCIETY WEBSITE
A FEW LOCAL POST STAMPS ISSUED BY THE FMF LOCAL POST
Postmaster: Joseph "Joe" J. Frasketi, Jr.
The FMF LP was established in Dec. 1972 and is still in operation today.
The left LP stamp titled "Paper Clip Scientists" honors the German American Rocket Pioneers who developed the rockets that put the USA's first satellite into space.
The middle stamp shows the village of Two Boats and Sister's Peak Volcano on Ascension Island.
the right stamp commemorates the first man of the moon in 1969.